Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Check Out the $5 Dollar Bling at Amrita Singh

I love how all the fashions of South Asia have slowly been merging in with Hollywood. First it was the lehnga-style skirts (remember those crinkle skirts from Express in the early 90's?), then the kurtis, the sari-style dresses made popular by J.Lo, and now more recently, the jewelry.

Photobucket

Everything from bangles, pendants, to the chandelier earrings, desi style is in. Wearing lots and lots of bangles on one arm, or both, is one of my favorite fashion trends of the moment, and the designer who I think is bringing us the the most practical way to achieve this look, in the US anyway, is Amrita Singh.

Her costume jewelry line, Bangle Bangle, represents everything I look for in everyday wear jewelry. The style is the perfect blend of east meets west, practical, affordable, and very well-made. And right now, you can get a whole mess of it for only $5 bucks!

Here are some of my fav picks from the $5 sale:

Photobucket

I love this bangle mainly for the color, orange, which is so in right now. The flower detail and the fact it's made of kiddie-proof wood doesn't hurt either. (If you've ever had a flimsy metal bangle or even 22kt gold hoop earrings squeezed into a D-shape by a curious child's hands, you'll know what I'm talking about here.) I really love wood bangles for how practical and durable they are. This is a great piece to add color and interest to any outfit, especially if you're wearing a white t-shirt and jeans.


Photobucket

I like thin bangles like this for layering. The green ones are sold out, but the red ones are still in stock.

Photobucket

Isn't this piece just stunning? This is actually a 3 piece metal bangle set, which you can wear alone, or layer with others. Whichever way you wear it, the sparkle in this is sure grab attention. I could even wear this with my desi clothes. And it's such a steal for only $5 bucks!


There's a few other pieces I'm eyeing at Amrita Singh too, mainly this beautiful wood cuff:

Photobucket

Scalloped Edge Bangle, $24


and this stack of bangles.

Photobucket

11 Piece Bangle Set with White Stones,$30



It's a tough choice choosing between the gold and silver bangles in this design, but I think silver is the more wearable color for me. It's better for casual, everyday wear.

photo source: drew barrymore, shopamritasingh.com

4 comments:

Unknown said...

cute stuff. Drew looks so pretty with the bling.

Aisha said...

I love it when this kind of stuff goes in because I can usually dig up something my mom brought from Pakistan that will be completely chic and was competley cheap :)

Saby said...

Hi, I have started a new online store called sulbha.com. Plz visit it and provide some feedback on my website www.stylecurry.com.
It would really help.
Thanks,
Saby

Ann said...

yeay!! This is EXACTLY why i love your blog, you post the neatest finds!!! yippeee....I am so loving this $5 bling...hope I can get some of that "arm-candy"