Thursday, April 20, 2006

Twice the Terrible, Twice the Mess

My son, who is almost four, announced to me yesterday that he's too old for sippy cups and wants to drink from the regular cups. I'd let him, but ours are made of glass, and knowing how he is with his sippy cups (picture cups strewn across the family room floor, or left on a side table where the two year old twins can get to them), I decided to invest in some plastic glasses made especially for toddlers. So me and the kids headed off to Target. People often wonder how I manage to go shopping with all of them. I'll give you the quick visual. You know those big red shopping carts at Target? Well, the twins go in the huge area in the front and my son sits in the seat. Looks totally trashy, but it serves the purpose.

When we got to the Drinkware section where the kids cups are kept, I found a variety of Spiderman, Strawberry Shortcake, and Dora plastic cups. The girls got excited about the cups too, and at only $1.99 it wasn't such a bad price, so I picked up a few and thought maybe I could finally wean the girls from a sippy cup as well. Big mistake. After the girls had their fill of water from the cups this morning, they proceeded to help themselves to refills from the water cooler, added leftover dry Honeycomb cereal and M&M's I left out on their Little Tykes table as "snack", and ended up creating the messiest concoction to spill on the floor and carpet. (M&M's melt when mixed with water, I learned something new today). Where was I? I was helping junior wipe his potty in the bathroom. So that's how I spent my morning, cleaning one mess after another. I know if I complain to my husband about this disaster of the day, he's going to say, "Well who gave them the cup and the M&M's?" Uh, that would be me.

Seriously, I don't know why they call it the terrible two's, it should be called the "terrible one's" because that's when the tantrums and destruction really begins. Since the twins turned 14 months, it's been so crazy keeping up with the disasters they create each day. It started the day I walked into the girls' room and found H. with her diaper off. She had worn a t-shirt and diaper to sleep (it was summer) and when I came into the girl's room to get them from their nap, not only had she taken her diaper off, she had pooped in her crib, wallowed in it, and tasted it (I know because it was around her mouth and under her fingernails). Yuck! The twins have a "monkey see monkey do" thing going on, so I walked in at the right time. Had I been five minutes late, the other one would have taken off her poopy diaper as well and then I would have had two cribs to clean out. After that day, both girls were resigned to wearing onesies, they still do at 22-months. I remember with my son, after age two he was so much easier to take care of, but I'm not seeing the light at the end of the tunnel yet with the twins. When does it get easier? I sometimes wish I could close my eyes and wake up to find them four years old. Kids who are four years old are so much easier to take care of, they feed themselves with little mess, they are usually potty trained, and they also know that cups are for drinking water, not for chemistry experiments on an off-white carpet.

2 comments:

Orchid said...

I share your misery. I must admit I have one as opposed to your three but the terrible two's started when he was 16 months and now he is almost 3 and it hasn't gotten any easier.

Jane said...

Unfortunately I know all too well about the diaster of leaving a child alone in her crib without a onesie on. My daughter did that--twice. Am I an idiot or what? I finally learned my lesson after the second time of cleaning up what was by far the most disgusting thing either one of my kids has done. My sympathies.